Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Tattoos and cold decks

GUKPT in Walsall was my first venture into tournament poker in England and it didn't take long to realise i wasn't in Kansas anymore Toto. Call me an old fuddy duddy but I was a little put of by the skinhead dealer with the tribal tattoo on his skull that was at my first table. In fairness, appearences aside, he was the best dealer I encountered this weekend, maybe thats why they cut him a little slack on his unique look. As for Walsall itself, I assume when it was at school with all the other towns it was voted the mostly likely to be called the asshole of nowhere when it grew up. It certainly doesn't disappoint in this regard.
Bitching aside they certainly know how to run a tournament, I just wish they used decks with fewer aces, during day1 I ran pocket Queens into Aces on no less then 3 occasions. This needless to say gave me plenty of free time over the rest of the weekend, during which our host Paul "Looking directly at me in natural sunlight could cause serious damage to your eye sight" Marrow ensured that Fintan and I were never without a drink. Fintan had freed up his time by being on the slow horse in every race he got into.
The side event went much the same as the main for both myself and Fintan but with a favourable bouncey ball we got out of jail and had a hell of weekend. I would definitely reccommend a visit and plan on making it to the 3 leg of the GUKPT in the London Grosvenor at the end of the month.
There is a satellite for this in the Eglinton this Saturday 7th of March at 8:30

No comments: