Thursday, August 17, 2006

Bluffing.

An art form in the game of poker, and last night I was lucky enough meet one of the greatest bluffers of them all. As with all bluffs, if they get through you a genius, if your exposed you feel like a complete tit. Last night we got to see the tit end of one of the best bluffs I have ever seen.

A well know poker journalist (to save any further embarrassment we won’t name names. But you know who you are Len) who writes for PPP online poker site got into any interesting debate at the end of a hand, which is the better hand, a house of Kings over 4's or Kings over 8's. He held the k4 at the time. Don't get me wrong, he didn't take a complete leap from his senses, not for a moment did he feel he had won the pot, but the debate about whether or not he was entitled to half of the chips in the centre went on a little to long for comfort.

Often I have misread a hand I hear you cry, take it easy on the poor guy you say. Oh and what is this bluff I was talking about. Well here is an excerpt from this players bio on PPP. "Poker player extraordinaire, actor, impresario and beloved member of the paddypowerpoker.com family! Pro-Player Mr L(en) is not only a force to be reckoned with at the poker table he is also a larger than life personality who has gained the respect of his peers and the love of the team at paddypowerpoker.com."
And in truth he doesn't even know the Poker Ladder. I put it to you, surely this is one of the greatest bluffs of all time. I tip my hat to you sir. Makes me wonder though, does my Doc really know what he’s doing when I am undergoing my prostate exam.

The impresario is also captain of the Mayo team in PokerEvents up coming Irish Poker Cup. Shortly after explaining the Poker Ladder to Mr L(en), I was offered a place on the team, which for personal reasons I had to refuse, a desire to hold on to what little remains of my sanity. Mr L(en) has always maintained that I am the unluckiest poker player he has ever meet, but I feel after last night there may be 9 Mayo men who feel their in with a shot at that title.

But the impresario is a top class gentleman, so I implore PokerEvents to post copies of the poker Ladder on the walls in the Citywest in the hope that our friend can avoid further embarrassment. I am sure those Dublin player would be far less sensitive to his feeling then I.

No comments: